Saturday, August 04, 2012

Container Gardening

This is my tiny outdoor container garden. Believe it or not,  it is comprised of hens & chicks succulents, 3 kinds of mint, parsley, nasturtiums, basil, lilac, cilantro, Kenilworth Ivy, shallots, variegated oregano, Creeping Jenny, Bleeding Heart, chives, lavender, rosemary, red geranium and a green mantle sedum. Away from this shot I also have a tomato plant that will produce a golden orange variety of the patio type. When I am pinching back the herbs or tomato plant, I never wear garden gloves, as I enjoy the distinctively unique fragrances that are produced from their essential oils. Even watering them in the early morning produces these heavenly 'earthy' smells. So even if you have a very small space, you can still create a personal Shangri-La with a mixture of edible and non-edible plants and flowers in containers.


©2012 Debbie Ballard Text (photo is also by Debbie Ballard but may be used as public domain)

No comments: